Since coming to Korea I have found a new passion for craft making.
Hanji is Korean traditional paper made from mulberry trees. Mainly hanji products are sold in shops and there are few opportunities to make them yourself, especially as a foreigner. My first hanji experience was in a class in Jeonju when I covered a tray. I enjoyed it so much that since then I've discovered so many more uses for this pretty paper - wallpaper, screens, masks, fans... to name a few. At a special festival at the Hanok village I made a cute Korean doll.
However, my favourite hanji product are the lamps, which come in 2 main varieties - traditional and flower-like. I set my sights on making one of each. I spent much time looking into it, I finally decided on what I wanted my lamps to look like. After much asking around I found a lady who made hanji products, and using hand gestures and drawings (since she speaks no English) I managed to get across what I wanted to make and she agreed to help me make a flower lamp. I bought the leaf base that I wanted to use and together she helped me make my design, and yesterday the lamp was finished! I'm really happy with it and the only challenge left is getting it back to the UK in one piece!
I've already bought the materials to make my next lamps, two traditional ones, which I'm going to make when I get back to England. They should look something like this:
So watch this space...
Another paper craft I've found a love for is origami. I've stocked up on paper so I can keep going when I get home :)
My craft experiences haven't been limited to paper - I discovered a talent for pottery! I went to a pottery class in Icheon, a place out of Seoul famous for pottery. I really loved making it and the teacher jokingly offered me a job! After we left, the pot was coated in celedon (a green glaze popular with Korean ceramics) and put in the kiln. I have yet to see it for myself in it's completed state, as it was sent home to England, but I have a photo and photos of it before it was glazed:
Sunday, 6 July 2008
I love crafts in Korea!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment