Thursday, 6 December 2007

Films and Karaoke

We've had some hilarious evenings spent at the DVD Bang and Noraebang (karaoke room). For those bright sparks reading this you'll have picked up that 'bang' (방) means 'room'.

DVD bangs are pretty seedy places, normally frequented by young couples who are looking for some privacy away from their parents, with whom they'll normally live with until they marry. They are private rooms with just a large screen, a leather (wipe clean) bed and usually a box of tissues (nice). Not much imagination is required to guess what 'going to a DVD bang' is often a euphemism for. Chi-He and I are happy to brave them as it's a great place to watch one of a huge variety of films in your own private cinema, whatever the owner may think of us going in there together!

Noraebangs are a very popular way to end an evening out with friends. I cannot sing to save my life, but when you're in the private room with the disco lights and the mike in your hand anyone can be convinced that they're a star! Whilst Chi-He likes to sing ballads and plodding oldies (no offence honey), I love to let off steam belting out Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nirvana and the like! Our Korean friends probably see a different side to me at the Noraebang but I find it much more amusing jazzing it up a bit with some energetic tunes. My favourite songs I sang last night had to be Gaybar (most Koreans are homophobic so I thought it'd be funny - and it was! see facebook for a video) and Tainted Love (the Marilyn Manson version). Hearing the Korean guys we were with singing Korean rap and hiphop had us in fits of laughter!! Classic!

No comments: